Thursday 23 May 2013

Another interview on EDs


I have been privileged to give talks on my former battle with eating disorders since year 2009. My audience consists mainly of Christian youth and women.

Speaking is both exciting and nerve-wrecking. Exciting - because it is God who graces me with such opportunities to participate in His ministry to the silent ED sufferers/potential sufferers among my audience; and it is God who makes me effective. I may not give the best of speeches - but the responses often overwhelm me with awe. Apart from Christ, I could have done nothing. Nerve-wrecking -- because (1) I am not very comfortable being cast in the role of a tragic figure in public, and (2) the initial stage-fright is a dreadful experience indeed. 

Nerves aside, speaking out is something that I am passionate about. It pains me to know that lives are being robbed everyday by this deadly illness (and ultimately by the Enemy, who uses it to his advantage). It frightens me to realise that many women in the Church are at risk of eating disorders, which cripple and hold them back from wholehearted worship. I am saddened by the complacent (and sometimes cynical) responses of the society to the illness. Well, I suppose we can't fully fault society for ignorance. Awareness of the illness and its dangers do need to be bred and nurtured more consistently among my fellow Malaysians. I am grateful for every little chance do my part. Ultimately, I hope to direct my audience to God's love, which inspires faith - and faith, hope.
 
Well, my territories are enlarging gradually. Earlier this year, I was interviewed for a feature in a local newspaper on eating disorders and the influence of social media on the body images of young people today. This week, I received a gracious invitation to be interviewed for another feature on eating disorders in Malaysia - this time, to be published in a women's lifestyle magazine. 

And so... I spent a major part of my Wednesday answering interview questions. 

It was fun! I enjoyed myself thoroughly (even while I was aware of my obligation to be very honest and careful at the same time). 

May Christ - my Saviour - be ultimately glorified.

2 comments:

adeline said...

Awesome. Go out there and bring more awareness to eating disorders. I used to think it doesn't exist in 3rd world countries but then found out that it does.

Grace Melody said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Adeline!