Monday 19 January 2015

Mother's Guilt

Like most parents I know, I want (desperately) to be a stellar mother.

But as my perfectionistic tendencies would have it, I am never "good enough". I am never the lady with well-done hair, glowing skin, pretty clothes, and a flat tummy - who I see in the glossy pages of motherhood magazines. On some mornings, I wake up looking like a bloated version of the Bride of Frankenstein in ratty PJs. I don't make as much milk as some mothers do (my freezer has had no frozen milk stock for ages) and I thought breastfeeding (directly latching) was a painful torture. I could never quite understand how some women could look so happy and calm breastfeeding their little ones on the go. (My boobs are hurting even while I contemplate on the idea.) I am never as tidy and clean as my mother-in-law, never as organised, never as particular as she is about nappy-changes, and never as engaging. (Sophie seems to laugh more when she is with her grandma.) Being an introvert, I sometimes am at a loss to find enough words to verbalise my thoughts (I could write Sophie a long letter anytime). I fear that she might take my occasional periods of silence to mean that I am disinterested in her. I wonder if I am present enough, if I talk enough, if I pray enough, if I do enough - in order that she grows into a well-rounded, secure and confident adult. I am emotional, prone to mood changes and tearful sighs.

I crave time off alone (and since we moved in with Ben's parents, I am out nearly every week day afternoon for some space of my own). A thriving career like that of some mothers I know. Academic pursuits like those of my scholarly peers. Coffee meet-ups with close friends. Traveling alone. Wine. Movie/date nights with my hubby - guiltless ones. And I kinda miss my singlehood, haha.

I am never perfect - or half as perfect as I want to be. But I hope, it's still ok.

God, in Your mercy, let me be a great mom. Because I really hope to be one.

1 comment:

Adeline said...

The fact that you're writing this shows you are a great mom. Just breathe. It's ok if some things don't go the way you hoped it would or expected it to be. Don't feel guilty about taking breaks either. Each person is different and everyone adjusts to things differently. You are who God made you to be as you seek after Him more. You are stronger than you think and more wonderful than you think you are. Hugs!!!!!