Friday 24 August 2012

Friday's muse

Had a delightful lunch and fellowship with Wee Lyn this afternoon. How refreshing!

I have come a long way.

Back in my ED days, I was so paranoid with my food that I turned down all invitations out to lunch/parties/dinners/etc. Firstly, I hated unpredictability especially with regards to what I ate ~ and eating out with friends is all about being unpredictable. Period. Secondly, I was aware of how freaky my eating habits were to the onlookers ~ I didn't want to scare anybody even while I couldn't stop myself. Thirdly, I dreaded the severe stress and trauma from post-meal guilt... and sometimes, the purges.

Today, I thank God for His deliverance ~ that I no longer qualify (according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition or DSM-IV) as an eating disordered person. I thank God that I can enjoy the sweetness of being able to fellowship with my friends and loved ones over a sumptuous meal ~ something that we take for granted sometimes. I thank God that my loved ones do not need to worry about me and my EDs anymore. It has been a rough journey for them while I was struggling for those many years ~ and regardless of how bad I felt for them, I couldn't do anything much about it because I was consumed in my own battles. And I thank God even, for the new freedom/life that came out of my struggles. I feel even better about life now than I did before I had my EDs.

3 comments:

A Chance to Die said...

How did you overcome your ED? I am a christian and have begged God to take my ED away from me. At times I feel in a pit. I lose hope.

Grace Melody said...

Hey, Ashley! Will blog soon about how I overcame my ED. Yeah, I understand what you mean about the pit and losing hope.

goingkookies said...

I've known that ED is common among girls but I never personally known anyone who had it.

Kudos for being able to overcome it.. May God continue to watch over you and grant you the strength you need. :)