Tuesday 23 October 2012

Meaningful Monday

Monday is the cherished day of rest for most full-time, church/ministry workers and seminary students.

For some seminary students, it is the day of working feverishly on assignments, because those deadlines are just around the corner.

Since the rest of the world has begun the week's labour (or beating Monday blues), I'd relish in the solitude afforded by the conventional world's order. 

How I usually spend my Mondays:

~ Sleeping in, since I a terrible morning person *owl hoots*
~ Meeting friends if appointments have been made
~ Reading (read part of John Ortberg's "If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat" today) and reflecting on matters of the Christian faith
~ Studying and learning new stuff (obviously not the too laborious kind - which can be uber fun) 
~ Fitting in a little work in the evening, just for a special little girl. 
~ Looking through the assignments I should be completing throughout the week

Monday prepares me for the week ahead. It gets me excited for Tuesday and so on. 

In addition, this particular Monday was spent attending our final class for Denominational Studies - together with Dr. S and around 10 classmates ~ from 10am to 3pm with lunch in between. What a great course (although I was quite lost at first; not to mention unmotivated to do the assignments). After studying Church history, about Wesley and the Methodist revival, as well as the history and distinctives of other denominations... my "Methodist identity" was strengthened even while I am more aware than ever that Methodists are not superior to the Baptists, AOG-ians, Anglicans, RC's, Lutherans, Foursquare Churchists, Brethrens, etc that make up the Body of Christ. Also, by seeing the problems/issues/tensions faced in my church in the light of the Methodist's identity and history, I don't feel quite so frustrated anymore since I know the roots from which they developed and evolved into what they are today. It is perhaps the acceptance of the inevitable weaknesses of the Methodist systems created to organize the Movement... that has refreshed my perspectives

I am now even more enthusiastic about inter-denominational work/missions for the cause of Christ. 

Ben and I took the motor-bike out in the evening and rode the breezes, delighting in the splendid cool kissing our faces. We had dinner at "Nasi Campur Umi" ~ which is a roadside Malay stall opposite 7-eleven/Eden Parade. The fried rice was really good. Prices were quite reasonable too. Will definitely be returning to try out their other dishes.
from our table
Here's to a busy week ahead... 

One more assignment to complete for the 1st-2nd terms batch ~

No comments: