Tuesday 23 July 2013

Stories and Martha

I am auditing a course on oral strategy in Bible-teaching at the seminary - and it has been enjoyable so far! Basically, the two-week course seeks to convince its participants on how stories and story-telling are so powerful in a world whereby the majority (literate and illiterate, young and old) learn best through listening to stories, interacting with stories and telling stories. It is only day one and I am already sold. Of course, it helps that the lecturers are so fun and dramatic.

Jesus told plenty of stories Himself. Apparently, He was questioned 183 times throughout the gospels, and 180 of those times, He would answer the question with yet another question and launch into a story of some sort. Many times, his listeners were cut to the heart - because they could relate to them. They could see their reflections in the mirrors that those stories held out - and were often disturbed by what they saw. His stories still mentor Christians today. They are still relevant. I still discover fresh lessons from them, depending on the season of life I am in. I am sure you do, as well. God's Word is alive!

Lectures are good. Sermons are good. But throw in some stories to illustrate your points - and you will not only hit the heads but also the hearts of your listeners.

I am certainly considering how story-telling can strengthen my ministry. But apart from that, I am also thinking of how I might use stories to compel my students of the need to practise more diligently. Stories would appear more benign but have twice the efficacy of nagging. 

It's going to be good, I tell ya!

Anyway... a story that confronted me (yet again) today was that of Martha and Mary.

It is a familiar story to me. This year alone, I have heard it preached at least twice and read many a reflection on it. I didn't mean to bump into the story so many times. Rather, it bumped into me. Or perhaps, it has been stalking me! Just the previous Sunday, Pst. Shearn preached on "The Headless Chicken" at church ~ and today, one of our lecturers dramatised the story in class. I don't know if anyone else has encountered the story as many times this year as I have ~ but I have. And each time, the Holy Spirit moves me to contemplate on Martha. 

Not Mary.

But Martha. Mainly because I see a lot of myself in Martha. I am yet too restless, too easily distracted, too easily bored and too much of a worrywart to be a textbook Mary. Too Type-A. The story does not specify their personalities, but Mary was said to have chosen the good thing - which would not be taken away from her. She sat at Jesus' feet, drinking in the moment. By relating to Martha, I am not saying that Martha was Type-A like me. Rather, like Martha, I just... forget to choose the good thing, sometimes. Martha was so concerned about serving Jesus (and probably the disciples that showed up with Him). So stressed out that she failed to appreciate that the Lord was in the house! (My question is... why did she invite Him to her home then?) She did call Jesus "Lord" but did not seem realise or respect the implication of the title for herself. She was so fixated on the details (and doing things right) and so resentful of her sister. So bent out of shape ~ that she was going to miss out on an important encounter with the Lord. Her service could have been a refreshing, sacramental experience - but such did not materialise. Pity.

And so, I guess... for reasons that are only known to me (and those who are close)... God - the compassionate and merciful - had to speak to me again about Martha.  

Today - another soul-searching day in history. 

No comments: