Thursday 29 August 2013

Wet-nesday, the absence of Roti Babi and etcetera

It finally rained. Just about time too. The haze needed it.

Memorable is that moment, when the triplets (whom I taught for the last time ever) left the music school, wailing almost tearfully to their mom, "What? Raining? Now we can't have our roti babiiiiiiiii...." (Their version of roti babi is basically your roti bak kua, i.e. greasy barbequed pork jerky packed into a soft, warm and fluffy bun with a drizzle of mysterious sauce - sold outdoors, near the school, on sunny evenings. You can request for meat floss or bak hu to be included in your bun. Sweet, salty and juicy, it is a magical comfort food for many Penangites, including my Penangite hubby. As its name suggests, it is non-halal. Someone must have invented the chicken-version of roti bak kua though. Genius.)

Raining means no sun. No sun means no roti babi uncle outside. No roti babi uncle outside means no roti babi. 

No roti babi is WICKED. A cruel and twisted fate. A predicament worth crying over. And that is that. How dare the rain???

And I didn't even get to say goodbye to the 3 of them properly.... Oh dear. Roti babi rules! 

I was about to celebrate the rain's downpour - but then, I thought that it wouldn't do for me to make the triplets hate me on our last day together - and so, I stopped myself just in time. Later, I rejoiced quietly over the rain with a friend.

THANK GOD FOR RAIN! 

I hope the triplets had their consolation though. Poor girls. Poor mom. Maybe she had to appease them with... sausage rolls. I don't know what can take the place of roti babi. Do you know?

Well, as much as I will miss the triplets (and N's endless flow of wide-eyed questions), I am certainly glad to have my Wednesday afternoons free again (and in a month's time, all other week-day afternoons as well) - because today, I received the mandate to write 8 articles by the 15th of November - on top of choir performances and other assignments. (I just can't seem to kick-start those of the Doctrine of God and Children. Momentum, build up please!) 

Perfect timing. May God anoint my meditations, my thinking-cap, my hands, etc. I pray that I would have great fun working on the articles - as well as my assignments (groan). May my work glorify Him alone.

Calling it a night with Ludovico Einaudi's Una Mattina on piano. I think it translates "a morning" in Italian.

No comments: