Friday 29 April 2016

A date with my little girl

We have not done dates in a long while. First, we moved in with my in-laws permanently (permanent but not forever, I hope). Secondly, it is very rare that I bring Sophie out on week days because I try to get as much work done as possible before the weekend arrives - and I only go out whenever she naps in the afternoons. Before she naps, she would gently remind me that it is now time for mummy to go to work. Thirdly, we are almost never without daddy on weekends - it is never just me and her. 

And so, when I suggested that we go on a date on my off-day (had to take a break from my weekday work thanks to unforeseen circumstances) - bring our books into a cafe, read or do nothing, drink chocolate milk, and enjoy one another's company - Sophie was very excited. 

"Yah!" she said. 

Off to the mall we thus went. Mcdonald's was our first destination for lunch. Much to my relief, Sophie was very well-behaved. She stood in the long queue without fussing, kept by my side even when I couldn't hold her hand (can't hold the tray with just one hand, can I), didn't protest when I put her into the high-chair, and ate up her nuggets happily. 

I honestly think that she behaves better when daddy is not around. :P 


We held hands and went for a short walk in the mall after lunch. Sophie kept telling me about how Uncle Suan came here with us (Ben included) the other day too. (We had coffee with Suan after dinner.) She also wanted to take some wefies...


Then, it was time to settle down in the cafe with a cuppa. Chocolate soy milk was such a treat! We read a book together, I read a few pages of my book while she read a little on her own and spent some time observing her surroundings (and the other patrons) from her chair... and it was time to go home. Sophie didn't make a fuss leaving the cafe partially because the toddler in her was growing restless (she wanted very badly to go for a run)... and partially because she was looking forward to sipping chocolate soy all the way home.



But yeah. I am glad that the date worked out so well. Sophie went home telling everyone about the nice "dittt" (date) she went on with mummy. It is so encouraging that she enjoyed herself that much. When I asked her if she wanted to go on another date, she said, "Yah!"

God's hand of protection, blessing, and grace must have been upon us.

We must do it again, someday.

No comments: