Tuesday 3 May 2016

A new season

After a fermata on a rest from teaching music, I am returning to the vocation.

I know. I was surprised myself.

It was all very unexpected. I think I made it pretty clear to many that I shouldn't be doing this anytime soon. But there was this open door, which aroused my curiosity the moment I chanced upon it. (Or, did it, by God's divine appointment, chance upon me?) I don't know what made me do it... but I took a step of faith, entered the world I had almost sworn never to re-enter since I left... and that world, where the musical I was born and bred at least for the first 11 years, it rejoiced to take me back in.

Until now, I still don't know if I should returned. I've heard enough about the systems, its weaknesses, and its falling out of favour with the conventional crowd. But honestly, it did feel a bit like homecoming. Perhaps, then, I should give it a second chance. I would also like to believe that there are two sides to every coin. After all, music is music. As long as one strives to respect its history and classical traditions while making it tastefully relevant to the rapidly evolving conventions of today, I don't think there is a "right world" for it to flourish. Rather, we can make our respective worlds, wherever we are, the right worlds for music to thrive and inspire, teach and nurture, sow and reap. With the maturity I (hopefully) gained in the past 17 years of exploring foreign worlds, I look forward to learn, teach, and resume the journey back here. I thank God for making everything fall into place so frightfully well.

Having said that, the new season implies a lot more work than my previous stint. Exams to sit for. Priorities to juggle. Working on weekends. Plans to rethink. Please, if you will, pray with me. I worry too much. I worry myself.

No comments: