Saturday 13 August 2011

Friday

A review of my day.

Had a very late lunch with Serena (a Singaporean seminary mate) at Jurong Point Mall. The reason for lunch being late - she's a school teacher, and so she only could make it after school hours had ended. I didn't really mind, because I had eaten a late breakfast. We talked about our post-graduation plans, Christianity in Singapore... and last but not least, ways to raise children so that they won't be spoilt brats! :P Yeah, I know the last topic was kinda random. After lunch, I had a short walk around Jurong Point, before taking the train to City Hall to meet up with Ji after she was done with work. Nearly fell asleep standing up - on the journey from Boon Lay station to City Hall station.

Had some time to kill before Ji arrived, so I had coffee and a peanut-butter-with-honey soft bun at this kopi-tiam inspired cafe called "Coffee & Toast" at Citylink Mall. Continued reading John's Piper book and then got engrossed observing the passers-by rushing past, ready to celebrate their weekend (I suppose). Oh, the speed of their strides was fascinating! Back in Penang, nobody ever walks this quickly! When Ji arrived, we had dinner at a Japanese-Italian fusion eatery, the name of which I can't remember. I was surprised that I could still eat dinner after a late lunch and pre-dinner snack! Lol. The food was that good!

After dinner, Ji and I walked over to the Esplanade. We enjoyed watching the performances featured this evening - those by a local Acapella group as well as young hip hop dancers. Amazing, talented Singaporeans! I had tears in my eyes watching the dancers; in fact I could have cried if I had been a little more overwhelmed by the beauty of their art. I was enthralled by a sudden thought: Since we were created in God's image - we bring others to be in awe of God when we strive to express the deposit of our Creator in us - the ability to creatively express, whatever our gifts are. Watching these dancers in their element, my heart felt strangely warm.  Indeed, I was aware that what I was enjoying was not merely a hip-hop performance - but the glory of God in people truly alive, who were moving their bodies in such genius, ingenious ways that had me captivated all throughout the performance! Awesomeness.

Anyway, we left at about 10pm... walked across the Helix Bridge (newly opened in April 2010) which crosses Singapore River... past the Art Science Museum and into a huge and rather high-end mall (Marina Bay Sands I think).

Took the train home and arrived just a little before midnight. Again... we sat around the dining table drinking tea/coffee (the caffeine won't work on me, I promise) and chit-chatting.

Tomorrow, we are going to the Jurong bird park, coz Ji got half her Saturday off.

I miss my hubby. While I love being in Singapore, I look forward to seeing Ben again.

No comments: