Friday 12 August 2011

Faith to risk

Been burdened by the need to pray for some people whom I know are really struggling.

There is a story in the gospel that has really touched my life, since I reflected deeply upon it back in final med. This story is found in the books of Matthew, Mark and Luke - so it must have been quite significant. Jesus was preaching in a house at Capernaum. Building up to the climax of the story,  four men carried to Jesus their paralyzed friend because they had heard how He had healed and restored the lives of many sick and demon-possessed people. They couldn't wait till He had finished preaching or for the huge crowd to disperse. Instead, they took the risk (yeah, I wonder what I'd do if I were the owner of the house), made an opening in the roof by digging through it... and then lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on into the house - right in front of Jesus.

The Bible says this very clearly: "When Jesus saw their faith...." (Matthew 9:2, Mark 2:5, Luke 5:20)

When Jesus saw their faith.

When Jesus saw their faith, He responded by not only healing the paralyzed man.  He forgave his sins too. The gift was abundantly and exceedingly more than they could have asked or imagined. The friends of course had faith that Jesus could heal the man powerfully;  at best, they had probably envisioned their friend walking. But Jesus, moved by their faith (and probably their passion), was pleased to surpass their expectations and therefore did the unthinkable - what He had never done before. Jesus took a risk. He displayed His divine authority to forgive the sins of man on earth - to all who were present.

This account holds a treasure chest of spiritual lessons for everyone of us -  but for today,  let us just stand in the shoes of the paralyzed man and his four friends. Imagine their awe. It was a most spectacular encounter. The importance of one's salvation far outweighs that of other needs being met. Think of it this way: the formerly paralyzed man could subsequently not only take up his mat and walk - but now see and savor God forever, having been liberated in the eternity from the separation from God brought about by his sins. (Perhaps the Apostle Paul was not the first to echo Hosea 13:14 in the New Testament times: "Where O death is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" ~ 1 Cor 15:55) Also remember this: While this man was now able to offer sacrifices for his sins himself (according to the religious ceremonial law of the Old Testament) having been healed of his quadriplegia,  he did not even have to do it anymore! Because God had forgiven him through Christ - according to the New Covenant that was soon to be established by Christ's death in Calvary.

When I meet this man in heaven, I will definitely not hesitate to ask him to retell the story according to his own words.

I don't know if "their faith" refers to the faith of the man + his friends... or just the faith of his friends. But the whole point of it is this: Jesus was moved.

In final med (2008), God spoke to me through this passage about the consistency and perseverance He aches to see in those who intercede. Intercession can be really uncomfortable business, really. A normal human being like me tends to get frustrated and discouraged when her prayers seem to go unanswered after a while. The impatience grows and then I give up. Praying for others also requires much discipline; an intercessor cannot afford to be lazy when the Enemy never stops prowling around waiting for the opportunity to wreck havoc - to steal, kill and destroy.

Coming across this passage in Book of Mark yesterday, I felt that God was gently challenging me again - perhaps to a whole new level this time. I was reminded that yes, intercession should be the backbone of ministry to others. However a new question I asked myself yesterday: Having gone forth on my knees, am I willing to now get up and begin to make passionate sacrifices in love for those whom God has burdened me to minister to - even when it means taking risks to bring them into the presence of the most glorious and revered God? How prepared am I to pour myself out as a living offering to the people He loves? The man's friends dug through the roof in the midst of Jesus' preaching, risking the home-owner's wrath and rejection, because they thought not for themselves but their paralyzed friend. I really want to see breakthroughs for those I've been praying for, but is there anything else I can do in faith besides pray? I desire to walk the extra mile despite my fear of its consequences. Let my faith move and please the sovereign God.

Help me, LORD, not to be lazy and selfish... and only concerned about my own needs, wants, comfort and conveniences. 

No comments: