Tuesday 16 August 2011

The Way of the Heart

I have begun reading a new book today - "The Way of the Heart" by Henri J.M. Nouwen.

It is part of my Spiritual Formation II assignment, for which I would also have to write a 10-page, double-spaced response to the book. On top of completing my assignment (this is not an option), I intend to mindfully and prayerfully make this book part of my daily meditation/contemplation/reflection this week. My week in Singapore has given me loads of precious moments at the feet of Jesus - let me not waste the momentum God has graciously provided me to hearken my ears to His voice (since I can get so distracted). I believe, as I journey on in this book, He would continue to speak, rebuke, comfort and affirm.


Maranatha.
Let me quote some phrases from the book's prologue:

"What is required of a man or a woman who is called to enter fully into the turmoil and agony of the times and speak a word of hope?"

Reflecting on the previous few years, I must say that it is difficult for me to enter fully into the turmoil and agony of the times and speak hope into the lives of suffering people when I don't abide to the daily disciplines of solitude, being silent before God and constant prayer. I come out with all sorts of trash when I depend on my own strength (although it sure feels good at first because my ego gets stroked) and then I grow exhausted and bitterly discouraged; not to mention my "old demons" getting hyped up! ED-thoughts fire like from a machine gun. It is a terribly lonely way to end one's ministry. Indeed apart from Christ, we can do nothing. On the other hand, a daily humbling before God does wonders for not only one's ministry - but one's security as a child of God. This contented security, I believe, is quiet but powerful as it draws others to fiercely desire it. God speaks hope through its possessors in such turmoil and agony of the times.

"It is not difficult to see that in this fearful and painful period of our history we who minister in parishes, schools, universities, hospitals and prisons are having a difficult time fulfilling our task of making the light of Christ shine into the darkness. Many of us have (1) adapted ourselves too well to the general mood of lethargy. Others among us have become (2) tired, exhausted, disappointed, bitter, resentful or simply bored. Still others have (3) remained active and involved - but have ended up living more in their own name than in the Name of Jesus Christ. This is not so strange. The pressures in the ministry are enormous, the demands are increasing and the satisfactions diminishing. How can we expect to remain full of creative vitality, or zeal for the Word of God, of desire to serve, and of motivation to inspire our often numbed congregations? Where are we supposed to find nurture and strength? How can we alleviate our own spiritual hunger and thirst?"

Gonna read the book and find out!:)

No comments: