Wednesday 22 August 2012

Gratitude


I graduated with my MCS (Master of Arts in Christian Studies) last November.

According to the original plan, it was supposed to be MDiv (Master of Divinity) and I was to graduate this year (2012). However, something happened (or rather, uncertainties pertaining to life-after-marriage cropped up; Ben was planning to leave his previous company). After talking to my pastor, academic dean, Ben, closest friends and mentors, I decided to graduate a little earlier with less credits, just in case we were to leave Penang. If that had really happened, there would have been at least some sort of "closure" to my studying at MBTS. Two other reasons for my graduating first with an MCS was because: (1) I was quite lost with regards to where I was going in life.  (2) I was very exhausted from my 8-9 years of intensive tertiary education. I needed a break...what with the new journey I was going to embark on - i.e. marriage.

Two weeks before the graduation, God gave us a clearer picture of where He wanted us in the next few years (as you can guess, Penang) and what He wanted me to do post-graduation. After much prayer and some good counseling from my academic dean, pastor, Ben, etc, etc, I ended up graduating, yes... but more than that, I applied to complete my MDiv, albeit on a part-time basis. Which means, I will graduate again in 2014. I just have to take the remaining credits on top of those I had already obtained in completing my MCS.

Anyway, all these things aside...

I wouldn't have come this far without the support of my family, hubby, prayer partners, mentors, care-group members and close friends. I think prayers were the most valuable gifts that I received - they must have done abundantly more than my eyes can perceive, my dreams can reach and my mind can understand. Thank you, all who earnestly prayed and fasted for me. The monetary love-gifts - some from unknown strangers who preferred to stay anonymous - that fed me, fed my car, clothed me, paid my rentals, covered my medical/utility bills and afforded me the opportunities to go on mission trips <especially before I came under the covering of my husband, and when I was jobless> must have been one of the best results of those prayers (other than the encouragements). I feel so.

I don't know how I could have survived without those kind and generous contributions. When I remember the past 3-4 years, I am amazed at how God never failed to provide for me. He did not only provide me with the things I needed - but there were many occasions when He graciously blessed me with the kind of wonderful surprises which only a Father who dearly loves His child can give. An undeserving child too - one who questions, impatiently grumbles, whines and whimpers, cries and fusses, makes trouble, grieves the Father's heart and sometimes breaks the rules. Eeek.

Those of you, who availed yourselves to be God's many channels of blessings to me ~ thank you. Not just the money - but the prayers, encouragement and love.


Aunty May Ling, who decided to trust God and sponsor my school fees even when she hadn't met me in person ~ thank you. You have been a wonderful spiritual mother and friend. I feel very privileged to have been able to learn so much from you with regards to being a faithful wife, wise mother and diligent servant of God.

Thank you.

No comments: