Friday 24 April 2015

Dear beautiful stranger...

I hope I don't sound like a creepy stalker by saying this... but I have been watching you.


Whenever I drop into my usual cafe to work, I see you there. At least 90% of the time. It must be your favourite place to work too. I write. You work on your PhD thesis. We both sip our coffees...and look uninspired. Sometimes you flip through a magazine in order to get away from your chaos of thoughts. Or walk to the bathroom. Or read your Bible and write in your journal. Pardon my nosiness and impertinence - I even know which part of the world you are from because I overheard a conversation between you and an acquaintance of yours the other day (this is also how I gathered that you are a PhD scholar). I couldn't help it and it's none of my business. I happen to have very sharp ears. However, those bits of juicy details added to the picture I have of you in my head make me even more eager to get to know you.

I would love to go up to your table and say Hi. However, if you must know, I am a very timid person, and you look like you might bite...which might not be the case. I have a crazy wild imagination - and my imagination runs even wilder when I am faced with the unknown - this must be one of the instances. The last time I was faced with a similar situation, my imagination kept me running away (literally) from the very person whom I wanted to get to know. Every time I saw this particular person in the distance, my flight-or-fight responses would turn on and my feet... yes, my feet would pivot me in the opposite direction and whisk me away before I had the opportunity to come to my senses. Thankfully, they have stopped doing so. As silly as it sounds, I prayed hard - sometimes, with tears and trembling. By God's grace and divine appointment, that person and I - we are good now.

I pray that I might be able to muster up the courage to approach you some day. If He wills, may we be friends. Until then, I wish you well. May the joy of the Lord be your strength as you journey on in the season you are in.

Blessings and love in Christ,
Grace

1 comment:

zoey said...

Sounds like an introduction to a surrealist story..