Wednesday 25 May 2016

Why dis-comfort zones are uncomfortable

I went for an orientation session at my new workplace today. 

The key teacher, who is to be my mentor while I work here, ran through the syllabus with me. She also demonstrated some teaching methods - which are very different from what I am used to - and we talked about lesson plans. 

While there was something soothingly familiar about the new (after all, I have been a student here before, albeit not in the last two decades), my heart or whatever that was urged me desperately to run away. I smiled as politely as I could at the key teacher, but deep down inside, I was terrified.

"You can't do this!" it screamed. "What if you don't meet the standards?"

What a horrible thought. And then a further thought...

"You don't have to do this!" 

Perhaps. But if anything, I have to be supermom. I want to show my little girl that it is OK to risk failing so that life grows bigger, better, and richer. I want her to know that it is even OK to fail as long as you are doing your best diligently. After all, as Dr. Martin Seligman, the founder of Positive Psychology, once said, "It's not our failures that determine our future success, but how we explain them to ourselves." Given that I can, by God's grace, deal with whatever failures I might arrive at and overcome, why not "do this"?

Work begins next week. Dear God, please go with me and help me to be a good teacher.

No comments: